Well, I thought it would be fun to create a blog that demonstrates my love for music. If you don't know by now, I like a wide variety of GOOD music and want this blog to be full of fun music facts and trivia, as well as a band or musician of the week.
For this first posting, I would like to jump deep into my past, and share with you my first exposures to music. This will include music found in my home and of course my first and favorite albums.
Both my parents were raised in the sixties, but they some how never passed on to me at an early age some of the greatest rock and roll ever written. I didn't know that Led Zeppelin was not a thrash metal band until my Junior High or High School days. My father, to this day, thinks that led Zeppelin would be in the same category as Slayer or GWAR. My parents' "song" is actually a Barry Manilow song, "I Write the Songs", I'm sure few have heard it, it's absolutely horrid and cheesy.
Because I grew up in the 80's and early 90's, my first exposure to mainstream music was first brought to me by way of popular radio stations and random records and cassettes that mysteriously made their way into our home. But mind you, although mainstream, I wouldn't call it all tasty. The first cassette I claimed as my own (even though I found it lying around somewhere in my house) was "Whenever You Need Somebody" by Rick Astley. If you have not heard of this guy, I really recommend that anyone who reads this, go look this guy up. I saw a documentary on one hit wonders in the 80's once, where he was described as "little white guy -- big black man voice", or something to that effect. I'll give it to him hands down, he sure faked me out. My personal favorite is "Never Gonna Give You Up" (click here for more info of how good the song was). What a classic! In fact, for some odd reason, the same album was in my tape player before I got it out to look up the album title.
My next confession comes by way of New Kids on the Block. Yes, I owned a cassette and a poster. My brothers constantly and consistently teased me and called me gay. But I'm the one laughing now as the album is still one of the best selling of all times. We all know it's "The Right Stuff". Once I finally became sick of my brothers' teasing, I destroyed the tape, pretending to not like them anymore to be cool. I am shedding a tear as we speak because I regret ever ridding myself of such classic tunes.
Oh, and we can't forget the ever-cruel torture I was put through to do lip-syncs to the Chipmunks with my 2 other brothers and my dad as Dave. We performed these ensembles for every ward and school talent shows for 3 or 4 consecutive years. I think my favorite was the Christmas album. I was Alvin, my older brother Perry was Theodore, and my oldest brother Jeff was the glasses-wearing geek, Simon. Although torturous at the time, I look back at these experiences as character defining and have increased my love for good music. So the new Chipmunk movie doesn't look at all entertaining to me, cause I've lived it, and will live with it for eternity!
That wraps up part one of my introduction and background in music.
Post Categories
Sunday, December 2, 2007
Music of my past -- PART I
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love you honey. I am excited to read more. Keep me posted, no pun intended.
Brad,
I love your music blog, I hope you keep it up...I can hardley wait for part 2 because part 1 was so compelling. Thanks for bringing much music into my life, your love for music is contagious!
This is awesome Brad! Very entertaining. I can't wait for the post about S.W., the greatest band of all time.
Post a Comment